Prayer Reflection: Psalm 40: 1-3

Here is a poetic prayer reflection inspired by Psalm 40:1-3. It was written by Thom Schuman, and posted on Prayers4Life.

Waiting, You Waited
(inspired by Psalm 40:1-3)

“He brought me up out of the pit of destruction,out of the miry clay;
and He set my feet upon a rock….” Psalm 40:2

hearing my squawk 
      of surprise 
               and then 
   my wails of 
         wretchedness, 
you came 
      running, 
   stopping at the 
      crumbling edge; 

you reached down 
   and clasped my trembling 
            hands, 
   pulling me up 
      out of the 
      slimy clay that 
            fought 
         to hold on to 
               me; 

you unwrapped the towel 
      from around your 
                  waist, 
   and setting me 
   on your lap, 
         you proceeded 
         to wipe off all 
      the muddy traces 
      of my mistakes, 
   drying my feet off 
            toe by toe, 

all the while 
             chuckling, 
      and 
         asking me, 
   'why do you keep 
   getting into these 
                messes?' 

~ written by Thom M. Shuman, copyright  © 2014 Thom M. Shuman.  Posted on Prayers 4 Today. http://prayersfortoday.blogspot.ca/