Prayer Litany: Psalm 8


Here’s a beautiful contemporary paraphrase of Psalm 8 from James Taylor’s wonderful collection, Everyday Psalms.  (See below for link.)

Scripture Litany: Psalm 8

My God, my God,
how wonderful you are!
There is nothing like you in the whole earth.

I look up to the skies, and I see you there;
Babies and infants open their mouths,
and I hear them cry your name.
Compared to you, our weapons, our bombs,
our power to destroy,
dwindle into insignificance.
On a starry night, with your glory splashed across the skies,
I gaze into your infinite universe, and I wonder:
Who am I?
Why do I matter?
Why do you care about mere mortals?

We humans are less than specks of dust in your universe.
We have existed less than a second in the great clock of creation.
Yet you choose us as your partners.
You share the secrets of the universe with us;
you give us a special place in your household;
you trust us to look after the earth, on your behalf—
not just the sheep and oxen,
but also the wolves that prey on our domestic animals;
the birds, the plants, and even creatures we have never seen
in the depths of the sea.

My God, my God! How amazing you are.

~ written by James Taylor, in Everyday Psalms (Wood Lake Books, 1994)  http://www.woodlakebooks.com/search/results/inventory/All-Products/Biblical-Studies/Everyday-Psalms