Confession: Psalm 23

Here’s a responsive prayer of confession inspired by Psalm 23. It was written by Rev. Emily Schlaman Larsen, and posted on LiturgyLink.

Confession
(inspired by Psalm 23)

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
But, O Lord, we are consumed with wanting more.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.
But, O Lord, other pastures seem greener.  
The waters aren’t always still.  
Our souls still thirst.
He leads me in right paths for his name’s sake.
O Lord, we long to be led by you,
though we may complain along the path.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil;
 for you are with me; your rod and your staff—they comfort me.
And yet, O God, we do sometimes fear.  
May we feel your presence, your comfort and your forgiveness anew.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
O God, sometimes we refuse to sit down at your table.  
Forgive us and help us to see your overflowing mercy.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long.
Forgive us, God, and lead us into your house.

~ written by Rev. Emily Schlaman Larsen, St. Andrews Presbyterian Church, Winston-Salem, NC .  Posted on LiturgyLink.  http://www.liturgylink.net/