A Prayer for Enemies

Here’s a beautiful prayer for enemies by the 11th century Benedictine monk, Anselm of Canterbury.

Prayer for Enemies

Almighty and tender Lord Jesus Christ,
Just as I have asked you to love my friends,
so I ask the same for my enemies.
You alone, Lord, are mighty.  
You alone are merciful.
Whatever you make me desire for my enemies,
give it to them and give the same back to me.
If I ever ask for them anything which is outside your perfect rule of love,
whether through ignorance, weakness or malice,
good Lord, do not give it to them
and do not give it back to me.

You who are the true light, lighten their darkness.  
You who are the whole truth, correct their errors.  
You who are the incarnate word, give life to their souls.

Tender Lord Jesus,
let me not be a stumbling block to them,
nor a rock of offense.
My sin is sufficient to me, without harming others.  
I, a slave to sin, beg your mercy on my fellow slaves.
Let them be reconciled with you,
and through you reconciled to me.

~ written by Anselm of Canterbury ( (c.1033-1109).  Posted on Beauty and Branding. http://beautyandbranding.wordpress.com/2012/07/21/a-prayer-for-enemies-and-gods-perfect-rule-of-love-anselm-of-canterbury/