Prayer of Confession: Being Salt and Light

Here’s a prayer of confession inspired by Matthew 5: 13-16.  It comes from Uruguay.

Confession
(inspired by Matthew 5: 13-16)

God, you placed me in the world to be its salt.
I have been afraid of committing myself,
afraid of being stained by the world.
I did not want to hear what "they" might have to say.
And my salt dissolved as if in water.
Forgive me, Jesus.

God, you placed me in the world to be its light.
I was afraid of the shadows, afraid of poverty.
I did not want to know other people's struggles.
And my light slowly faded away.
Forgive me, Jesus.

God, you placed me in the world to live in the community.
Thus you taught me to love, to share in life,
To struggle for bread and justice,
Your truth incarnate in my life.
So be it, Jesus. Amen