Prayer of Confession: Luke 15


Here’s a prayer of confession inspired by Luke 15: 11-32, the parable of the prodigal son.  It was written by Bruce Prewer.

Prayer of Confession
(inspired by Luke 15:11-32)

I will get up and go back to my Father and say:
“Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight.
I am no longer fit to be called your child.
Please make me one of your hired labourers.”

Let us return to our God, and make our confession. Let us pray.

Loving God,
There is enough evil within us to dampen our confidence;
Sometimes there is enough doubt in us to swamp our faith.

Some days there is enough weariness in us swamp our hopefulness.
There is enough apathy within us to smother our compassion.

Yet, thankfully there is also enough hunger in us to keep us unhappy.
And enough discontent in us to make us return home to your love

God of our Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me a sinner.
Amen. Have mercy on me a sinner.

God of monumental  patience and of prodigal mercy,
forgive your people their numerous sins,
have pity on our pride and folly,
lead us to the fountain of your grace,
and wash us thoroughly from all that defiles us. 
Through Christ Jesus our Redeemer.
Amen!

Words of Assurance

Jesus told us: “Then the Father said: Bring quickly the best clothes for him, and put a signet ring on his finger and shoes on his feet, and kill the fattened calf, and let us eat and celebrate, for this my child was dead and is alive again, was lost and is found.”

My friends, welcome back home. This fellow Jesus, and his remarkable household, welcomes sinners and even eats with the likes of us!

Thanks be to God.

~ written by Bruce Prewer, and posted on Bruce Prewer’s Home Page. http://www.bruceprewer.com/