Affirmation: Jesus, the Shepherd

Here’s an affirmation of faith for Easter 4 (Good Shepherd Sunday), or any other time when you’re working with Shepherd images.  It was written by Bruce Prewer.

This I Believe

I believe I need a shepherd.
Because I am sometimes timid and other times overconfident,
because I often don't know the best path yet pretend I do,
because I rush into dead ends or lead others into hazardous places,
because my brightest ideas are seamed with darkness,
because the things I crave may not be what is good for me,
I need a shepherd.

I believe in Jesus, the best possible shepherd;
his wisdom leads me to the best opportunities,
his word comforts me when I'm anxious or afraid,
his arm steadies me when I feel weary and heavy-laden,
his wounded body displays the cost of my rescue,.
I believe in Jesus, the best possible shepherd.
I believe that I do not find him but he finds me,
that I under his care by virtue of sheer grace,
the love he gives me is to be shared with others,
that he treasures my name and prepares a place for me,
that his fold transfixes earth and heaven.
I trust Jesus, the good shepherd. Amen.

— Copyright © 2002 Bruce D. Prewer.  Posted on Bruce Prewer’s Home Page

For more worship resources for Easter 4 (Good Shepherd Sunday), click on Easter 4 Year A or Easter 4 Year B in the list of “Labels” at the lower right side of the page.  See also Psalm 23 in the same list.