Gospel Reflection: Jesus' Arrest

Here’s a reflection on John 18.  It was written by Pat Pierce, and posted on the CAFOD website.

Holding our lives before God

Jesus arrested, judged, found guilty
and condemned to die is held captive overnight.

If I were arrested and held this night
what would I be found guilty of?

That I made friends with people
      irrespective of their colour, creed or class…
That I shared my bread with the poor…
That my words… and actions… brought healing and forgiveness…
That I made justice and didn’t count the cost…
That I sought the truth and then spoke of it…
That I recognised my neighbour
      and loved them as my very self…
That I met God along the way
      in the healing and forgiveness I received…
That I accepted hospitality at many different tables…
That I was changed by the lives of others…
   …and often repented my arrogance and foolishness
      in encountering their wisdom …
That friends and strangers sometimes paid the price for me…
That I never sought out suffering…
    …but journeyed with it to the best of my ability…
That the love of those about me
      taught me to love myself before God…

You call us out of brokenness
to mend and remake your creation.
Grant us the courage to stay
with all those who are held captive this night.
In the name of Jesus who is good news. Amen.

— written by Pat Pierce, and posted on the CAFOD website. http://www.cafod.org.uk/

For more worship resources for Maundy Thursday, click on Maundy Thursday in the list of “Labels” at the lower right side of the page.