Confession & Approach: Psalm 51

Here’s a prayer of confession and approach based on Psalm 51.  It was written by Rev. Richard J. Fairchild, and posted on the Kir-shalom website.

Prayer
(based on Psalm 51)

Have mercy upon us, O God, according to your loving kindness.
In your great compassion blot out our offenses.
Wash me through and through from my wickedness
and cleanse me from my sins,
for I know my transgressions, and my sins are ever before me.
Against you only have we sinned and done what is evil in your sight.
So you are justified when you speak and upright in all your judgments.
Purge me from my sins, and I shall be pure. 
Wash me, and I shall be clean indeed.
Hide your face from our sins and blot out all our iniquities.
Create in us a clean heart and renew in us a right spirit, O Lord.

(silent prayer)

Give to us the joy of your saving help again,
and sustain us with your bountiful spirit.
Open my lips, O God,
and my mouth shall declare your praise.

Lord God, you are the one who forgives us and teaches us what is right and shows us the way we should go.  You are the one who provides us with all that we need and protects all those who call upon your name. Help us O God to remember your unfailing love, to give thanks for your forgiveness and your mercy, and to rely upon your saving and healing power.  For these and all our blessings, help us now to praise you with thankful and contrite hearts, we ask it in Jesus' name.  Amen

— written by Rev. Richard J. Fairchild, and posted on his Kir-shalom website. http://www.rockies.net/