Affirmation: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Here’s an affirmation drawn from the writings of Martin Luther King, Jr.  It was compiled by Abigail Reichard.

Affirmation

I refuse to believe that we are unable to influence the events around us.

I refuse to believe we are bound by racism, war, and injustice.

I believe those around me are my brother and my sister.

I believe in dignity every day and that our brokenness can be healed.

I believe we can overcome oppression and violence, without resorting to it.

This means I seek to reject revenge and retaliation.

I remember, “Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can.”

— drawn from the writings of Martin Luther King, Jr. by Abigail Reichard, a student at Christian Theological Seminary.  Posted on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Worship Resources, on the Disciples of Christ Council on Christian Unity website. 

For more resources for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day worship, click on Martin Luther King, Jr. in the list of “Labels” at the lower right side of the page.